Monday, May 19, 2008

Music on Monday: Duffy


Last night one of my students was talking about a song she heard that she liked. Now usually I have little trust in the musical palette of any of my students. But she kept talking about this song called "mercy." Well, since I am always looking for an excuse to use my iPhone, I looked it up on itunes and listened to the sample.

Wow.

I was blown away by the sounds of Duffy. All at once I was hearing the sounds of Aretha Franklin, Dusty Springfield, Norah Jones, Amy Winehouse and Van Morrison.

Duffy is 23 years old and from Wales. She knew nothing about music outside of the top 40 till just a few years ago but she sings like she was steeped in soul, jazz, Motown and R&B. She has already had a #1 hit in the UK and is just now making a splash over here though she has only played a handful of dates here in the states.

I love hearing something so new with a sound that is about 40 to 50 years old. My student who introduced me to her also noted while watching her videos that she has never so much cloting on a young female singer. Duffy us more than a little refreshing.















No comments: