Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Why I No Longer Listen to Downloaded Sermons

(The following is not meant to be prescriptive for anyone's behavior. It is merely descriptive of my own. I bind no one's conscience.)

I have not listened to a recorded sermon in months. In fact I cannot remember the last time I did so. A lecture or "talk" maybe. But a sermon has not reached my ears which was not preached in my own church for a long while.

This is remarkable because I used to listen to sermons by pastors from across the country almost daily. But now, I not only don't do this any longer but I have no desire to resume my former practice. If you had told me I would feel and think this way a year ago, I would have been incredulous. I would have thought you did not know me well. I would have assumed such a practice would make me guilty of something. I know not what. But something along the lines of veering from the shibboleth-like course of the "Young, Restless and Reformed" (meaning no disrespect to my friend Collin Hansen).

My reasons for not listening to podcasted, downloaded or any other type of recorded sermon differ along the time of the practice itself. In other words, when the flood of sermonic mp3s began to recede from my iTunes folder the reasoning was different than now when it is more decisive. I know myself better now. Faults. Dispositions. Trajectories. All are in play and thankfully are somewhat more understandable even if not yet defeated.

It all started - or stopped, if you will - because I was tiring of the celebrity pastor phenomenon sweeping the evangelical landscape. For good or ill, it was starting to sicken me. I seemed to hear more people talk about the sermon they downloaded than the one the pastor put over them had delivered for their good. In this I heard the dissatisfaction of past moments in the life of Matt Redmond in their elation. I had so often said and done and thought just as they, it took no degree of imagination to hear my voice say the exact same thing. I had been more than a little guilty of downgrading the importance of the sermon served up by the shepherd appointed to feed my soul and watch it. By God. And I had upgraded the importance of the pastor who would never know me or my family...that is, apart from my desire to follow said pastor around to conference after conference after conference. After conference.

All this naturally led to the sermon being a medium of entertainment. I suppose I could find ways to entertain myself which would be worse for me. But the sermon by the celebrity pastor was now becoming like a TV show. How did I know this was a bad thing for me? I started expecting from all pastors what I was hearing in podcast form. I probably justified it in the name of excellence or something asinine like that. Don't get me wrong, we should expect our pastors to preach well just as we expect plumbers to plumb well. But not all will have the same abilities. And I must be honest, I was entertained the most by the sermons when the preacher was "bringing it" or "killing it." Whew, good to get that off my chest.

My main reason for no longer listening to sermons by celebrity preachers is...well, I have a preacher. When I am not preaching, he is my preacher/pastor. God has given him to me and my family for my good and his glory. He is the principle human agent I should be looking to for making sure my soul is fed. Are there better preachers out there? Yes. Of course, for there always will be. But they are not my pastor/shepherd. I would prefer for nothing to get in the way of what God has put in front of me to keep me on the way.

Related is my own preaching. There are certainly better preachers than myself. But I actually would appreciate the same sentiment by the people I am feeding when I preach. Self-serving convictions? Well yeah. Aren't they all?

I probably need to reiterate these convictions are my own. Feel free to appropriate them but do not feel constrained by them. My own heart is at stake here. Nothing else. I look back on the previous years with a guilt mixed with sanity, shaken and stirred. A strong drink at a high price but mixed well and worth whatever the payment required. My zeal after listening to a "killer sermon" by the celebrity pastor du jour quickly turned into zeal for other's convictions. Inevitably, I would hear a sermon on some moving subject and then very quickly want others to hear what I heard so their thinking could be changed.

Certainly I might do the same when listening to my pastor. But for my own part there is a controlling mechanism inherent deep inside my personal desire to be fed by the man standing in front of me, preaching the word. When I want no one else, effortlessly the Word is easily seen as being for me first and foremost. For conviction, encouragement, sight, hope, fire and refreshment.

So when you ask me if I have heard a sermon by anyone other than my pastor, my answer will increasingly be "no." For I do not listen to the recorded sermons of celebrity pastors anymore.

16 comments:

Pastor Kurt said...

This is a good thought and I appreciate your humble approach (i.e. the disclaimer at the beginning).

I wonder also if podcasts have made those of us who pastor a little lazy. Rather than meeting with folks, praying with them, teaching them, exhorting them, we rely on the celebrity pastor to do it for us. It's much easier to say to someone struggling, "You need to listen to this sermon by..."

I probably won't stop listening to podcasts, nor stop encouraging folks to listen, but it's a good reminder for us to shepherd the sheep God has privileged us to care for.

Thanks!

Marcie said...

Great thoughts, Matt. Thanks for sharing them.

Eric said...

I am a pastor and I really appreciate you thoughts. I am convinced that there is a downside to most of the "celebrity" preaching on tv/radio/conference circuits. I occasionally hear comments about how wonderful or powerful or awesome said preachers messages are but it is usually from people who don't have any intention of actually responding to said messages in any way other than admiration for its delivery. Part of a pastor's role is to shepherd, and God knows I have a lot to learn and much growth to experience to do it well, but preaching divorced from shepherding can quickly become exactly as you described it - entertainment. Thanks for the post.

TannerDean22 said...

Dang...this thought has never occurred to me, and I find myself in that exact same description. Yet still, I love podcasting, and find it more enjoyable that music alotta times. This really makes me consider whether I can continue to podcast like I do and not elevate it above the message of my own church...is that even possible? And should sermons be listened to so casually as music?

Charles said...

Matt's doing what he needs to do to guard his heart. I think it's wise to prayerfully consider in what ways we're blind to things that aren't helpful to us. It could very well be preaching by well-known men. The devil can make a snare out of anything.

Johnny! said...

I love the guys I still listen to, but I love my Pastor's sermons more. I also have a rule that anything they say which contradicts my Pastor, I will not accept. That involves a lot of trust in the man God has appointed to be my shepherd.

It's like Piper said that one time...
:)

Clint said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Clint said...

Well said, Matt.

JPS said...

I totally agree. I believe that Gods message to us is to be heard first hand by our own pastor. Too many today stay home from church to listen to the radio/tv for their Sunday service. I know I can't worship very well in my living room in front of the tv. I need the music and congregation around me. I know that God 'shows up' at my church, and don't want to miss out.
The recorded messages are good occasionally, but now as my primary source of the Word.

alex said...

nice blog
continue to blog and share thoughts..

Edina MN Realty
Gun Accessory Holsters Cases
Gun Holsters Cases and Accessory
American Flags
American Flag

Simple said...

" He is the principle human agent I should be looking to for making sure my soul is fed."

Is this just an opinion?
davidochandler@gmail.com

Fr Ken Bartsch, OFM Conv said...

A fellow complained to his pastor: "I cannot remember three good sermons I have ever heard." The pastor replied, "Your wife has prepared your supper for thirty years. How many great meals has she served you?" We should be fed in Church, not entertained.

Jim said...

Kingsoft office software officially released the latest prerelease version of WPS Office 2007, adhering to the version of WPS Office 2012 smart brisk, convenient installation, the depth is compatible with Microsoft Office Professional 2007.

Gujarat Carz said...

It’s wonderful to go to see this specific site and reading through the particular views of most acquaintances on the issue regarding this post, while I am also eager to get information.

- online cab booking | taxi for rent | taxi in ahmedabad

Handicraft Shopping India said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Welcome to the SOLUTIONS STYLE Center!
SOLUTIONS STYLE


Creates a powerful platform for the sales of goods and services by a passionate community of individuals and small businesses

A PLACE TO BUY...


In Solutionsstyle you can buy any products for your life style,get nearly you need or want at price better than you can find in traditional market or even online stores.


A PLACE TO SELL

In Solutionsstyle you can sell any products like a bix- box retailer or just an average joe ,cleaning out your garage , nearly anything you list on Solutionsstyle will sell, if you are flexible enough about the price.
Click Here for more Information