Monday, March 03, 2008

My Music Monday

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery then consider this project a serious compliment to Steve McCoy. He does a regular "Music Monday" post that I always find interesting. So I thought I might do the same...he gets all the credit for any genius.

So today begins "Music Mondays" here at discerning the times. My hope is that all five of my readers...hi, mom...will not only learn a little but really enjoy something in the world of music.

We start with a video of Bob Dylan live from 1966 singing "Like A Rolling Stone." This was filmed during his famous tour when he "plugged in" and earned the ire of many once fans.

From Wikipedia:

'"Like a Rolling Stone" is a song by Bob Dylan from his album Highway 61 Revisited. First issued in 1965, it represents in its length (6:09), style, and scoring, one of the most influential of Dylan's songs. Rolling Stone magazine ranked it as the greatest song of all time, declaring, "No other pop song has so thoroughly challenged and transformed the commercial laws and artistic conventions of its time." In his 1988 speech inducting Dylan into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Bruce Springsteen remembered, "The first time I heard Bob Dylan, I was in the car with my mother listening to WMCA, and on came that snare shot that sounded like somebody had kicked open the door to your mind". In addition to the Rolling Stone ranking, website Acclaimed Music also ranks it #1 on its Top 3000 songs list, based on a number of reviews and "best of" lists."'

It is also my ringtone...


No comments: