Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Music I am Listening To


I am still listening to Coldplay's Viva La Vida almost everyday. It has been the soundtrack of my summer. I really cannot think of another album that has aressted me like this one has. And I really only enjoy the music on this album if I listen to it straight through. If I just listen to one song, I feel like I am trying to look at only a piece of the puzzle. The question I keep asking myself is "why?" Why do I love this album so much? I was never a Coldplay fan before. I never owned any music of theirs. So why? First, I think I can safely say this album more than most is an artistic piece. It is not merely entertainment. As a matter of fact, while it may be entertaining, to call it entertainment in the sense that most pop music is entertainment misses the mark. It is art. Second, is music is really sparse. There is not a lot of noise. Almost every note played is apparent. It draws you in because every note has the potential to become a memory. Third, the lyrics are full of images begging you to wrap your mind around them. Chris Martin is not a believer but this album is full of religious and biblical imagery. Therefore, it is very interesting to listen to his take on the world around him. Fourth, musically, I do not have another album like it. Some of the music is beautiful and arresting, violent and forbodding. Am I off the mark to suggest there are alot of borrowed sounds and rhythms from World Music? Lastly, one of the things I love about Jazz is how the voice becomes an instrument and not just a way to say something. Martin's voice does that on this album.




Viva La Vida is not the only new thing I am listening to...I am also listening to The Myriad. Indie Music made by believers. Weird video below but great song.


No comments: