Thursday, November 29, 2007

What I Am Reading...

Actually, I am no longer reading this one because I finished it yesterday but I really enjoyed Confessions of a Reformission Rev. by Mark Driscoll. I can see why so many people do not like him, he is a little rough around the edges but I can't help but like him. His passion for the lost in a city as hard to reach as Seattle is contagious. He challenged me in areas such as Prayer and boldness in evangelism and confirmed a few suspicions I had about the way most people think about ministry in the 21st century.

As of now I am mired in Shelby Foote's The Civil War: A Narrative. It is a 3 volume work which I have always wanted to read because I know next to nothing about the Civil War. I am so clueless about most of the wars and politics involved in the Civil War that I have only recently learned not to tell people in rural Mississippi how much you like Lincoln. My public education in the city limits of Birmingham taught me nothing of the particulars of the longstanding attitudes regarding "The War Between the Satates." Anyway, I picked up the first volume for $15 at Barnes and Noble. If you are at all a history buff and want to really get into the details of the Civil War (that's the War of Nothern Agression for those of you still saving your Confederate money) this is the book for you. Each volume is approximately 800 pages. I am not quite 1/4 of the way through the first volume and I am riveted by what I am reading. So far the only person I really like in this story is Lincoln...many of many Southern friends are very scandalized by that last statement.

No comments: